Half-Blood Hill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A shield for a Praetor ((Calix))

Go down

A shield for a Praetor ((Calix)) Empty A shield for a Praetor ((Calix))

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:07 am

That lions head.. That Imperial Golden Lions head.. Gimlar had cut out the shape some time ago while he was waiting for Eric his swords to cool down. Then the smith had left it alone for some time. He had forgotten about it, until he found it back on his workbench. He decided to fill it with Imperial Gold and so he finished it yesterday.. But he didn't have a clue on what to do with it.. There had to be something that could be done with it.. Gimlar had thought about making it part of a statue, but that would become a statue that was way to expensive.. A automation was out of the question.. You don't make a automation out of a solid Imperial Golden lion head. The Legacy was about to melt it back into a bar.. 'What in Vulcan's name have I been thinking? Making a IG lionshead without knowing what to do with it?'. Then suddenly, a idea popped up in Gimlar's head.. What if....

Gimlar took the lions head and ran towards the Principia. Then he remembered he had still a forge blazing, so he ran back and put the fire out as fast as he could. He quickly ran back to the Principia, still wearing his blacksmith attire. His hammer was on his back and in his hands was the lions head. But then there was a problem.. Where would that Praetor be? Gimlar scratched his head.. He didn't know at all.. He had seen Praetor Calix only once, on Valentine's day.. But that was the last time he had seen him.

After searching for a about 10 minutes, he found the Praetor in the most logical place.. the office. Gimlar knocked polite and walked in. He looked at Calix and bowed. “Gimlar Marlic, fourth cohort and blacksmith for the Legion. At your service.”.

((Short opening, sorry!))

Back to top Go down

A shield for a Praetor ((Calix)) Empty Re: A shield for a Praetor ((Calix))

Post by Guest Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:22 am

((I'm so sorry for the lateness. I've been so busy D;))

Calix never had downtime nowadays. Lately, responsibility after responsibility, problem after problem, duty after duty and so on and so forth have been thrown at him from every single direction. He felt as if he were balancing a stack of plates on each hand while standing on one foot with another pile of plates on his toes. And don't forget the tallest stack right on top of his head. If he moved, sneezed or even BREATHED, his hard work would fall to nothing. So that's what Calix did. He stayed very still, stifled every sneeze and didn't breathe. He didn't and wouldn't allow any outside influence to distract him. Calix found himself going back and forth from every place in Camp Jupiter, never really finding a time to relax. That day found the Praetor crouched over his desk in the Principia reading back over a report that apparently had some sort of anomaly. This disturbed the Legacy greatly. He was a Kiril, raised from birth to handle swords and papers with ease. He shouldn't make mistakes. But yet here he was. Calix ran a hand through his hair and huffed out a breath. Calm.

A gentle knock from the door caused Calix to jump. He scowled, scrunching his eyebrows and an irritated look clear in his eyes. First messing up his reports and now jumping at the sound of a soft knock? He extinguished the annoyance just as the person entered the Principia. Calix straightened in his seat. The blacksmith he had heard much about. Calix remember seeing the Legionnaire at the Valentine's Dance with the Third Cohort Centurion. He came off as an agreeable person. And his bow only further proved that assumption. Calix stood in his seat and inclined his head at Gimlar Marlic. "How may I help you?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Gimlar wasn't really surprised by the irritation that was on the face of the Praetor.. From the rumors, he was a really hardworking person, so the irritation was quite understandable. But you couldn't hear it in his voice, so Gimlar thought it was ok.. The acient Legacy stroked the Lions head, made of pure Imperial Gold, in his hands.. He still had his gloves on, he noticed.. He did a mental shrug and cleared his throat.. "Well, Praetor Calix.. When I was working on a few weapons, I had some free time while I waited for the metal to cool down slowly. And while I waited, I was doing some carving, without actually thinking about what my hands were doing. When I actually looked at what I had been doing, it turned out to be a lions head.. But since I ran out of free time, I put it away as something useless at the time, until I found it back yesterday..".

Gimlar paused for a second, hoping the legacy of Bellona wouldn't mind his little ranting.. which wasn't actually ranting, since Gimlar was just explaining what had happened, and which all was the reason why the unclaimed legacy was standing here right now. He swallowed.. Even though Gimlar wasn't a shy person, the opposite actually, he still was a bit nervous.. Calix was a good, but also quite... strict person., At least, that is what all the rumors said. This was the first time that Gimlar actually met the Praetor. Ok, he had seen him on the Valentines Day Dance, dancing with Luthien, but that was about it.. He never actually talked to the legacy..

Gimlar continued, "So, ever since yesterday I have been thinking about what to do with this Gold.. Imperial Gold, by the way. Well, I think I might have found something to do with it, but I think I need your approval for this." Gimlar tapped on the floor with his boot.. 'Nervooouuusss!! Not good.. Caaaalm Gimlar, CALM!'. Gimlar inhaled. "Ok, here is what I was thinking about.. I don't know a thing about your weapons, your armor or anything, but I came here to ask you, if you would like to have a shield with this lion's head as a decoration on it.. Not a shield for actual fighting, even though I will make it of Imperal Gold, but a shield for official things, like Senate meetings, or at other meetings.. Something like that." Gimlar, like the little ranter he was, had been ranting again without noticing. He never did notice it while he was ranting. Only afterwards, and he thought it was really annoying to say the least. Uneasy as he was, he started touching the silver rings in his mustache, turning and releasing them repeatingly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:25 am

Calix must not have been doing a good job of keeping his emotions from showing on his face because he saw the Legionnaire hesitate the tiniest fraction in the threshold. Quickly, the Legacy of Bellona tried to suppress any other visual cue to his feelings. His father always told him to keep his personal life and career separate. He couldn't be bringing feelings brought on by frustration in the work place 'home' or with his personal relations: with Legionnaires or otherwise. A time and a place for everything. But not for whining. Calix took a deep breath just as Gimlar cleared his throat and began to speak. The blacksmith started out with a lengthy anecdote that pricked a bit at the Legacy's patience. But the breath that Calix took before helped a lot to keep him from interrupting and imploring the other Legionnaire to get to the point.

Calix took this time to look over the person who had entered the Principia (while, of course, keeping one ear open to his story). Gimlar Marlic definitely had the look and feel of a blacksmith. He had a full on beard, and still had a few stains in some places on his clothes and person because of his work. In fact, Gimlar still wore his work gloves. He spoke in a gruff voice (perhaps due to the fumes in the forges) and looked rather handy with the hammer he had strapped to his back. The shield he held in his hands definitely showed his talent at his trade. Obviously that shield was the reason for Gimlar's visit....

And the blacksmith offered the beautiful shield to the Praetor. Calix allowed a bit of his surprise to show with a slight raise of his eyebrow. Gimlar had created the gorgeous shield out of pure boredom. A shield that looked fit for a king... and was giving it to him? Calix walked out from behind his desk and approached the blacksmith. "Why?" He didn't ask this accusingly but purely out of curiosity. It definitely looked like it'd match with his formal black and gold uniform. Perfectly actually. He regarded the Lion's head, obviously impressed with it. "Why don't you keep it for yourself?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:47 pm

The Praetor seemed to be a bit surprised about Gimlar his offer to give the shield to the Legacy of Bellona. The slightly raised eyebrow was showing that. It is just a little sign, but it was there for sure. It was quite a uncommon thing to offer ofcourse. Gimlar was really proud of the shield he created over the last time.. So proud that he actually did not want to use it.. The shield was made of Imperial Gold and decorated with silver. The decorating was quite a hard tast, since the 3 holy metals usually don't like each other.. But, under the right circumstances, it could be done. Gimlar knew, because he had seen the sword of Mark Black, called Black Orchid. It was made of Celestial Bronze, Silver and Imperial Gold. So ever since Gimlar came to Camp Jupiter, if he was having some time, or just wanted to do something else, he tried doing coating Imperial Gold with Silver. But that was not a easy task. Both metals actually rejected each other all the time. That could be really frustrating, but it gave Gimlar something to experiment with. But after trying a lot, 2 days ago, he had succeeded in coating. So that was mainly one of the reasons why the shield, which Gimlar had named Lion, was decorated with a thin layer of silver.

On every button in the shield, was the name of a Praetor. On the top button, there was "Calix Kiril, Legacy of Bellona" engraved in it. Next to that, button was "Elijah Emmanuel, Son of Discordia" and the rest of the last 40 Praetors Camp Jupiter had known. Gimlar had asked the Lares to tell him those names and the god or goddess that was connected with that praetor. The leather straps on other side of the shield, were made of the strongest leather Gimlar could find. It was so strong, even a Imperial Gold dagger had trouble slicing through it. And that wasn't because of Gimlars strength. Which made it perfect for the shield. Only the best materials. Inside the shield there was also the Marlic stamp of course.. Following the tradition his family had, Gimlar put that mark on every weapon, armor and also shields he had made. It was a sign that stood for quallity. The Marlic family never let a thing out of the armory that hadn't been checked really good, tested and marked.

Calix asked the blacksmith why Gimlar didn't want to keep it for himself. The curiosity in the voice of the Praetor surprised Gimlar. But the question didn't. He had been expecting that question. It was only normal to ask it. Because of Calix moving closer to the shield, Gimlar felt his nervousness fade away.. Strange, but good. The blacksmith liked being around people, and when people are moving in your way because you have something that interests them, thats a good sign. "Well.. I am too proud of it to use it. If I would use it in a fight, it might get dented, or worse, destroyed. And I don't want that to happen. But I also don't want it to be hung on a wall, never to be used again. That is why I am giving it to you, Praetor Kiril. You seemed like the right person for me to wield it. And besides, having such a big shield on my arm, while swinging around a 5ft tall, heavy warhammer... Not really something I would like to do.. Since I would smash my teeth before I can crush a skull.." , he said with a smile.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:46 pm

Up close, the shield was even more impressive. Calix saw the little nuances in the design of the shield, the way the gold intermingled with the silver. He thought he even saw some Celestial Bronze in there as well. The Greek metal. In other circumstances, Calix would be less than pleased at the addition of the metal, but he was in no position to be displeased. It worked out so well that he looked over that tiny little detail without much difficulty. He put her hands behind his back, a bit reluctant to reach out for the piece of armor that was not his, and leaned forward, observing every single detail. He saw his name on the shield, followed by Elijah's. And the names of others.... he spied his father's and his grandfather's, making him smile the tiniest bit. Legionnaire Marlic knew how to make impressive armor and did it with great style, not to mention that he knew a good amount of the Legion's history. The shield really did come off as something he would have on his arm. Not that Gimlar couldn't use it, of course. But the blacksmith was correct. This shield shouldn't be used in battle. It looked too ceremonial. And ceremonies happened to be right up Calix's alley.

But still the Praetor didn't lay a hand on it. He knew that the blacksmith wouldn't take no for an answer, and it would be rude to reject such a beautiful gift, but he still didn't find it his place. Calix pried his hands from his back and reached out gingerly, laying two fingers in the maw of the great lion. What, from a distance, came off to him like a fierce figure that should not be approached, turned out to be quite a benevolent symbol. At this proximity, the lion looked majestic and watchful instead of malicious and stalking. Calix looked up at Gimlar, smiling a small smile at the joke he stuck at the end of his explanation. It made enough sense for him, he supposed. He pulled his hand away from the shield and looked at Legionnaire Marlic, fixing his posture professionally. "I would be honored."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:41 am

Calix seemed to be, in every way, a reserved person. His entire body language and face showed quite a closed personality. But also quite calculated. 'I guess that this is something he needs to do. Always keeping distance to the Legionnaires, so you can rule them in a good way.' Seemed like a lonely life to Gimlar.. But on the other hand, Gimlar was also quite lonely.. There was so much to do for the Legion. Ever since the Legacy of Vulcan came to Camp Jupiter he made countless of weapons, pieces of armor and what not.. Not that he did mind.. In fact, he loved his job. But being alone all day could be really lonely.. Lucky the smith was way to busy to actually feel lonely..
Looking at the Praetor, Gimlar could see a faint smile while he looked at Lion. He seemed to be studying the shield, looking at all the names Gimlar had written on the shield. It had been quite a hard job. It was the thing that took the biggest amount of time. Everything had to be perfect the first time, so failure was not a option when Gimlar wrote all those names.. Any mistake could have ruined the shield in Gimlars opinion, so he had been working more focused then ever. In fact, he had been working so focused that he totally missed dinner the day he did that part.. That happened a lot, so the smith didn't mind at all..

The Legacy of Bellona fixed his posture. He looked at Gimlar and said simply, "I would be honored.". Gimlar smiled big time. It had taken a while, but Calix accepted his gift. That was one of the things he loved the most. People that are happy with the things the Legacy made. That showed that Gimlar his craft was appreciated quite a lot. A happy costumer is a happy crafter. "And I am honored that you are willing to accept this gift of mine." Gimlar took the shield in his hands, and held it in front of the Praetor, so he would be able to put it on. "Would you do me the honor of wielding Lion? That way I can see if there are any changes needed. I want it to be perfect for you." If there is any flaw, it would be a disgrace to the Marlic family.. And that is the last thing I want. I am the only one left, so I need to do my best to keep the name of my family as high as I can."

((I suck))

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down