Half-Blood Hill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How far will he go? ((Lukas / PG-13 / D&L))

Go down

How far will he go? ((Lukas / PG-13 / D&L)) Empty How far will he go? ((Lukas / PG-13 / D&L))

Post by Ronnie Riley Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:44 pm

Morta. The name whispered through Veronica Riley's subconscious, chilling her to the bone. The same woman in white that had been plaguing her dreams for the past month came again, her dark eyes unreadable, her cackle more shrill each dream. Whoever she was, she was growing stronger. The joyful and evil laughter that came from her was due to destruction. Pure destruction from her own hands - watching people crumble beneath her touch brought her immeasurable joy. "I want Jupiter" she was saying. "Join me or fight by his side and perish."

Consumed in the dream, Ronnie didn't quite have enough control over them yet to either recognize she was dreaming or try to think. Once she became aware of her dreams, she would be able to think in them. For the past few months she had been trying to learn how to control her dreams by writing them down and attempting lucid dreams... but she wasn't there yet. And so when the dream swiveled around her and shifted to a battlefield soaked in blood, she didn't think twice about it and she let everything happen around her without a moment’s hesitation or thought. As if consumed, possessed by something or someone else, Ronnie started moving against her will. Her axe slashed before her eyes, slicing people in the back  – her own Roman friends. The daughter of Janus found herself yelling ”stop!” Vocalizing her frustrations of not being able to stop her actions. She could feel her arms swinging and slashing and cutting…
until she remembered that it was impossible to move her arms like that because she was lying face down on her bed. Spit flying, face red in concentration, and adrenaline so strong it overpowered her immobilization; Ronnie continued to swing her arms again and again until she could feel the solid bed beneath her. The image gave one last glimpse of crimson and Ronnie saw the deep piercing eyes of Morta one more time before she realized that her arms weren’t moving at all. They never were. She had just been asleep.

The world was faint with the fog of morning. It was cold. The young woman curled in on herself and pulled her comforter over her body. The dream was slipping out of her memory just as sleep began to consume her again. Eyes black as the night crept behind the lids of Ronnie’s eyes and she jolted upright. Her hands fumbled for her journal that she now kept beside her bed. It was crucial that she wrote the dream down now before she forgot it all. Blanket falling off her, Ronnie could feel cold sweat dampening her body in uncomfortable places. The thump of her heart was heavy and Ronnie could feel it in her shaky hands. Her dreams had affected her before, yes, but not like this. Soon, she remembered that she herself became an instrument of destruction in the dream… and seeing all that blood – cleaving a body and watching it fall before her – brought her a feeling of what she believed to be euphoria. It filled her lungs with intoxicating life and the adrenaline made her perceive more clearly than ever before. Being frantic about losing control of her actions was what she believed to be the appropriate way to pretend she didn’t feel that sensation of elated.

Okay. It was time. As Ronnie realized this, it became hard for her to think of the dream and jot it down as clearly as possible while the dilemma of going to the Praetors gripped her gut.
It was time to tell the Praetors.
It was clear that she didn’t want these powers of foresight and she couldn’t yet control them and she didn’t want to place herself in any precarious situations with power involved; but keeping this to herself now would be selfish. The camp seemed to be in danger. Withholding this information would be worse than any personal repercussions she would get by being placed in the status of Augur. Ronnie was well aware that they were searching for someone to fill the position.

Scribbling the last bit of imagery that she could remember into her dream journal, Ronnie hurriedly pulled a long button down over her head. The leggings from the night before still clung to her legs. Senses still heightened, she found herself moving too fast; turning her head too often, looking around at everything, jumping into her half-zipped boots, and bolting out the door with a spring in her step. It was morning for Mars’sakes! It wasn’t until Ronnie marched all the way to the Principia before she thought to read her entry to ensure that it made sense, especially in correlation to the prior dreams.

Heading:
September 20th, 2014
Sub-heading (where Ronnie would place a late-night pressing thought or a short summary of the day) :
Why can’t I get you off my mind?

So I’m in a crowd of people. They keep pushing and bustling around me until they melt into thin slivers of colors flashing past me in every direction. I don’t notice. The woman in white looks at me [this is the first time I’ve seen her eyes]. Her pupils look like a vile of blood. She whispers to me. Flows into my body. She takes me to her battlefield that I’ve seen countless times and this time I’m fighting for her. My arms swing and my blade is the one that kills. I recognize the dream but can’t stay in it because this realization has me wake.

Taking a deep breath and trying to calm her frustration, Ronnie turned many pages before starting over with the scattered images she retained and what she re-gathered in her mind from the first entry. The Praetors couldn’t know that she was the one doing the killing. And this woman… there was a name! Ronnie had heard a name in the dream. What was it? No matter how many times Ronnie repeated this question in her mind, she recalled nothing more. Scratching and re-scratching out phrases she scrawled, the young woman tried so hard to make sense of these images, but she couldn’t. They weren’t just dreams, either. They would come to her whenever. How could she possibly convince the Praetors of its severity? They definitely weren’t going to believe what was on her pages. Fingering the swollen dark semicircles under her eyes, Ronnie stood there for a while before putting the journal and pencil into her laced up combat boots. She had gotten what she wanted, hadn’t she? Tightening her journal into her shoe, Ronnie proceeded to pace the courtyard of the Principia deep in thought until she saw a boy in the corner of her eye. Maybe that’s just something she needed – someone else to bring her mind back to where it belonged: the present. Not the unpredictable maddening future.

Without any more thought, the bright-haired demigod found her feet falling in step away from the courtyard and towards the boy she saw. That face was familiar. It was one that Ronnie saw recently… oh yes. In the Arena.  With Lauren. Lauren was the late night thought that that Ronnie couldn’t get off her mind and she didn’t know why. Yes, she was attractive, but Ronnie had no strong feelings or attraction towards her. It’s just… for once Ronnie had found a personality that got along with hers. For the first time at camp, Ronnie had seen a potential friendship. What exactly did Lauren see in this boy? ”Hey, you’re new right? Looking for something? Her eyebrow perked; Ronnie wanted to find something in this boy, but what exactly was she looking for? This, she knew not.
Ronnie Riley
Ronnie Riley
Daughter of Janus Praeditos
Fourth Cohort
Augur

Female Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2011-09-11

Back to top Go down

How far will he go? ((Lukas / PG-13 / D&L)) Empty Re: How far will he go? ((Lukas / PG-13 / D&L))

Post by Guest Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:49 pm

Wandering around Camp Jupiter still didn’t feel normal. Lukas still felt a little bit of surprise twang through him as he turned the corner to see a Roman helmet under someone’s arm. He still sprung to the side of the pathways as a sword passed him. Even after his first sparring session – which he had become very noted for by his lack of roman armour – he still didn’t feel comfortable around all the weaponry here. Make love not war, it was a good motto to follow in Lukas’ eyes. Though from what Lukas had heard of the reasoning behind all of this training the idea of loving the opposition didn’t seem all too intelligent. He didn’t understand any of it really; it was all very mysterious whatever it was. He had learnt to shrug it off as nothing to do with him for now - he’d just arrived for crying out loud, he’d find out everything eventually anyway. Pondering over things too much wasn’t really Lukas’ natural way about doing things. Spontaneity was far more enjoyable - exciting even - and it was even far more educationally rewarding too. You learnt from your mistakes by being spontaneous, not from being structured like the vast majority of these Romans. That was probably the reason why the old camp got burnt to the ground – though again, that was of no concern of his and Lukas didn’t feel inclined to judge for it. He wasn’t there, he would never know for sure. Lukas was certain he’d get to the bottom of all of the darker stuff going on in this camp. There was some intriguing gossip about poison. Ohhh how very mysterious, he’d certainly need to wheedle his merry way into that story eventually.

The looks Lukas received as he wandered up the path with knee length grey trousers and a baggy short sleeved shirt were wonderful. A plump faced boy frowned indiscreetly as he scooted passed Lukas and Lukas looked him deep in the eye and winked jokingly. It was quite amusing when the action was returned. At least they saw him as Roman, and at least no one actively despised him yet. He was doing well so far – he had intended to be friendly to most people whilst he was here, he’d made enough enemies in the real world and did not want to repeat that here. He was a bit of a character, that was for sure, but he was more kind-hearted than most.

Lukas continued up the pathway, where exactly he was heading was unknown to him. Wandering around Camp was useful for him now; it helped him create a firmer image of the place in his head. He enjoyed strolling around the place too; it was so unlike anything he had ever seen before that merely stopping and looking at it was interesting. Looking at the place from all different angles was even better. He wasn’t quite so fond of some of the people here though. For the most part they were nice but as always there were the odd few who were strange, the odd person who was a little bit 'off their head' for the lack of a better term. Normally it wouldn’t have bothered the boy, but people here were slightly over the top.

He approached the Principia at a mild speed, skimming his way through the lulling crowd of people. The boy wanted to take a good look at the Principia, he assumed he‘d probably be going in it for a very limited amount of time – but he knew he needed to know where it was – you know, just in case. Even after being present at the camp for a while he still hadn’t gotten round to looking at the building itself properly. He liked the idea of just taking some time to go and smooch around. He’d spent a while getting settled into the Second Cohort and now wanted some more freedom again. He wasn’t fond of being restrained. He soon found himself wandering into the courtyard of the Principia.

Well it wasn’t quite as big as he was expecting but it was still pretty cool. Lukas readjusted the neckline of his shirt, pulling it back into alignment with a swift tug as he looked upwards at the building. He moved his eyes down from the building to his shoes: a wonderful pair of white slip-ons that suited him remarkably well. The boy looked back towards the Principia again, this time taking note of the placement a bit more. He looked around him, made sure that he was actually aware of the surrounding area, then turned. He walked slowly, his eyes now glancing down at the courtyard beneath his feet. Gods it was like stepping back in time . . . Waking up in the morning without Ulrich snoring at the other side of the room was just . . . Lukas wasn’t used to it yet. In a weird way he missed Ulrich and his brash sense of humour accompanied with his distinguished scars and his harsh voice. Lukas had managed to make a friend in Ulrich, and now Ulrich was gone from his life. Gone for good perhaps. It was taking a lot of getting used to.

A voice caught Lukas’ immediate attention and he swiftly raised his head upwards from facing the ground of the courtyard to take note of the person who had spoken. It was a girl. Lukas had only really verbally interacted with the girls here so far, maybe they saw him as more approachable than the rough Roman guys. There was probably some truth in that actually. The boy smiled in greeting, though his smile distinguished after being called ‘new’. It wasn’t a lie; he just didn’t really like being referred to as a newbie. He felt like he had a place here, being called a newbie made him feel like he almost didn’t belong, that he had to evolve to be accepted still. That he wasn’t quite there yet. The boy shrugged his shoulders a little, “I arrived not long ago, if that’s what you mean by ‘new’,” he said, folding his arms – not out of defiance, more for his own personal comfort,  “I’m not looking for anything in particular, no. I’m just taking in the surroundings a bit more, getting a feel for this place if you catch my uh . . . my drift.”

The boy shifted his weight onto his right leg and unfolded his arms, he placed his hands in his back pockets of his grey knee-length trousers and gave a quick smile, looking back up to the Principia as he did so. “It seems nice here,” he admitted, continuing to look upwards, “I like it so far.” He re-averted his gaze back to the girl and smiled. He smiled too much . . . oh well, what was the worst that could come from smiling too much?

Back to top Go down

How far will he go? ((Lukas / PG-13 / D&L)) Empty Re: How far will he go? ((Lukas / PG-13 / D&L))

Post by Ronnie Riley Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:11 pm

((I don’t know why I didn’t read over that (the previous post) and edited before I sent it… because that was atrocious. I’m sorry.))

As it had now been three weeks since Ronnie met Lauren, she had become aware very quickly of how Lauren's flirtatious nature was certainly not reserved for the daughter of Janus alone. Apparently, she was pursuing both Romans and Greeks, men and women alike. This didn’t make Ronnie upset, or jealous… on the contrary it made Ronnie want her more. Whenever Ronnie caught Lauren smiling at a thought, even if it wasn’t a thought about her, Ronnie felt like this was a challenge she was meant to accept. Could she or could she not get Lauren to want her and her alone? Then everyone who lusted after her would see that Ronnie had won. As this idea was one that pleased Ronnie, she was aware that she too found her way around the Roman block and couldn’t flirt or “be” (whatever that meant) with just one person. In this sense, Lauren was just like her. This thought tugged a mindless smirk at the corner of Ronnie’s mouth. It was perfect. Neither of them could be upset with the other for finding pleasure with other people on occasion and neither of them would have to feel tied down. Of all Ronnie’s past relations, this one seemed like the most perfect situation of them all. How could she possibly pass that up?

This boy before her… well… he was attractive. Very attractive, in fact. It was quite understandable if what Ronnie had observed in the Arena between he and Lauren had escalated once she left, but that still would mean that Ronnie had not won. Bested by a newbie. How about that? What was he about, Ronnie wondered. Could she test his fear and strength? Could she test his character too at the same time? Or would she have to choose between morals and character, or fear and strength?

Slowly, pondering this situation and all the potential it possessed, Ronnie started to make her way to this boy – closing the distance between the two of them. Before she tried anything, she certainly wanted to get a glimpse of who he was in order to see if it was worth it. However, those thoughts stopped short and scattered themselves every which way in her mind as the notebook in Ronnie’s shoe rubbed against her ankle as she walked. This was just another reminder of the frustrating predicament she was stuck in; the one that twisted the uncomfortable knot in her stomach every time she thought of it. How could she possibly expect to do what was important to her and be the person she wanted to be when these thoughts took her away from what was before her: potential. And oh, how nicely it formed itself into… form-fitting clothing and hair neatly placed. Wait, back up. Thinking to the past at all, even so close as a few days ago, Ronnie found difficulty. Always trying so hard to think in the present and not so much as digress to other thoughts had trained the young woman perfectly to forget faces minutes after she’d seen them, and had trained her to move on from any loose end of attachment or whatever-that-was-supposed-to-feel-like with ease.
Without too much difficulty, Ronnie was able to think back to the way he was talking to Lauren – there was no way he didn’t like girls? But his appearance made Ronnie wonder if he liked girls and boys. It was delicious how many of those were popping up these days. Though, Ronnie of course was farther above that. Yes both girls and boys provided pleasure, but Ronnie believed that she had the capacity to truly love anyone or thing that was on the same intellectual level as she. Be it a monster, an alien, or a nymph.
If only Ronnie could understand how wrong she was.

As she spoke, Ronnie took note of how abruptly he turned towards her. It seemed that Ronnie had taken him out of absent thoughts and observations. He was close in height and age to her, but Ronnie suspected that he still would grow. It wasn’t until then that she realized maybe her words had come across more harshly than she thought they would - though she highly doubted him to be one of the softies that took great offence easily. ”Well excuse me, then. You don’t have to be all up and arms.” The typical hint of sarcasm did not find its way into these words. This was probably for the better. Though she knew she wasn’t being sickly sweet, her actions and expressions told her that she was making too much of an effort – no matter how common it had become for her. Almost second nature. ”Just tryin’ to offer a helping hand. And yeah I get you. When I first got here I just wanted to get away. I looked for places to be alone before I even thought about looking for a weapon - or a friend for that matter.” Did she just make herself sound pathetic? Well, obviously she wasn’t shy and she had people skills. Maybe too much people intuition though. ”Just, becoming more comfortable with your new home is a good way to go about it. So I respect that.”

Ronnie was unsure if she was supposed to look pleased when he mentioned that he liked the camp so far. So she smiled. And he smiled back at her. In that moment their eyes locked and Ronnie was taken aback by his, though nothing showed in her face. ”That’s good to hear… uh…” she left the comment hanging in the air as she waited for his name. It was a power play she knew, but it was so subtle she wouldn’t be surprised if he missed it. ”Have you found a good weapon yet? I could tell ya some of my favorite places on camp: the lake, library, stables… Arena. But uh, my morning has just been freed up and I could show you how fun this very Principia can be. If you don’t have the right mind about you it’s easy to get bored in this place.”
Ronnie Riley
Ronnie Riley
Fourth Cohort
Augur

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:24 am

Lukas was rather intrigued by the girl who stood before him. She looked like she had a lot going on in her head, and Lukas didn’t know whether that was a good thing or a bad thing – or if it meant anything at all. He did like being intrigued though – for good or worse. The one relationship Lukas had with a girl in the past hadn’t really worked out all too well, and that had all started out because of what he liked to label as ‘intrigue’. He had the idea in his head that he was gay at the time and couldn’t shake off the feeling that something was wrong with him. Of course there wasn’t anything wrong at all, he had just been so caught up in his own paranoia that he’d let it get the better of him – and the wonderful Sofia had even stayed with him after it, until she was torn from him by a loving family that took her in. That was when he had cared so much about what everyone else thought about him – a very long time ago, that is to say. Lukas now, as he stood with this girl, was a lot harder to embarrass, a lot harder to irritate - and that was certainly a good thing.

Now, intrigue - that was a strange thing. Lukas knew that by coming to Camp Jupiter the Second (as he liked to call it), he would be immersed into something completely different. He hadn’t been disappointed so far and you could find something intriguing around every corner. He enjoyed his Roman mythology lessons but didn’t really understand all of the names. Latin, obviously, came naturally but it was still so different, so strange. He didn’t feel like returning to normality any time soon.

The girl before him was full of the stuff, intrigue that is, but she had nothing from the outside that indicate her to withhold any. The book at her ankle that Lukas noticed with a causal glance to the floor brought a lot of questions to the surface, but he never asked them verbally. It wasn’t his business why she had a book there, it was probably something private anyway – a diary or something. He just hoped his short glance wasn’t noticed.

He turned tilted his head a little as he chuckled jovially at the girl’s implication of this being a ‘new home’. “This isn’t so much as my new home as my only home, orphaned at the age of 1 and I didn’t really class the Orphanage as a home to be honest, but hey I try to look on the bright side of life at least, makes me look nicer and more approachable than a grumpy so-and-so wielding a battle axe or a sword,” he resisted the urge to wink – flirting wasn’t going to happen today, no way. With every ounce of his energy the boy stopped his eyelids from closing and instead converted the energy to moving his hands into his knee length trouser pockets.

“Found a weapon yet? Me?” the boy said as he raised his eyebrows – an action he had been told made him look relatively enticing by Sofia at the orphanage, “I’m not exactly weaponry material, make love not war and all that – unless you hate their guts in which case go for it. But yeah, your point – nope, no weapon yet, blissfully weaponless.”  

“And I struggle to see what fun could be had at this humble Principia, but be my guest, you seem to know your way about things here, and certainly seem to have the right mind for it,” he said – not too sure whether he had just inadvertently complimented her without getting to know her first. Was he trying too hard to fit in?

The Principia really didn’t look all that interesting, aside from the wonderful architecture it was essentially a building where the high up people lived and worked – or that was at least the extent of Lukas’ understanding. What ‘fun’ could be had in a place like that that didn’t involve extensively breaking the rules? As much as Lukas liked being rebellious he wanted to make a good impression here. Most people hadn’t liked him in Boston because he resulted to stealing and got a rather bad name for himself.  New home (well, first home of course), new start. He was interested to see what fun the girl put forwards though, she must have a wild imagination to make fun from the Principia. A wild imagination was often a good thing to have in most cases and Lukas respected people who didn’t let boredom engulf them. He was consequent to getting bored far too often, sitting in a regulated environment such as the Orphanage enabled boredom to fester on several occasions. “Lead the way then, stranger,” he said.

((...Not the best post in the world, sorry about that!))

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnie Riley Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:32 am

The first moment that Ronnie noticed that this boy was in his head and not fully in the present, she felt the presence of a memory – the past. The past was something she despised, but other peoples were interesting. It often helped describe the way that they would act now, or at least provide more clarity for the situation. However, though Ronnie was very prone to act on impulse, it wasn't easy, but she restrained the sudden impulse she felt to project this hint of a memory so that she could see it. Dante, her brother, was the one who could do that with ease. But as their father looked both ways: to the past and the future, the future came to Ronnie much easier and with less strain on her mind and body. Pity. For better or for worse, she was stuck with this and she couldn’t change it.

As she observed the boy, he observed her back, but contrary to how she thought she made people feel when she analyzed them, she didn’t feel uncomfortable. Or maybe this boy was just terrible at it. Either she was no good, the tactic was no good, or he was… all valid options?

Then, he spoke (in earnest) and she let the sound of his voice and small laugh fill her sense. There was something about him, something that she couldn’t place. This just made Ronnie all the more interested. The words that left the young man’s mouth made Ronnie’s eyebrow perk. Though all demigods shared similar sob stories and there were very few that had a good life provided for them when they were growing up, the bright-haired demigod was surprised that he talked about being orphaned so quickly and openly. And if her eyebrow could raise even higher, it would. His comment about the ’battle axe or sword’ was left unresolved. She didn’t know if he was talking about himself, or making a reference to Ronnie – one of the only people at camp whose weapon of choice was a poleaxe: ”After being here, what, a week? You’re already calling this place your home… and you’ve never called anywhere home before in your life?” Questions, good, maybe the more she prodded the more clarity she would understand about his motivations and ‘buttons’. ”Interesting,” she hesitated, but decided to continue just a bit more: ”At least you had a roof over your head and you didn’t have to worry about when the next time you would get a meal is.” This comment was not meant to refer back to her in any way – she added no hint of jealousy – but after Ronnie said it, she could see that he might take it the wrong way and think she lived on the streets. The daughter of Janus was actually among one of the luckier few demigods, her “father” had money and she modeled as a part time job, but she would be lying if she said that she didn’t have to spend the night on the streets a few times, with nowhere to stay.

Now it was Ronnie’s turn to chuckle at ”make love not war and all that.” He was intriguing, and Ronnie couldn’t help from mentioning under her breath, ”is that so?” Maybe it was her new behavior with Lauren that spurned it, but from somewhere inside herself, Ronnie couldn’t resist: ”Well considering how much we war here, you must be good at what you do if that is something of more importance.” Ronnie said this only to toy, she had no interest in looking into this boy further… right now… but in order to distance herself from accidental seduction, she kept her face stoic. No blush painted her face and she didn’t purse her lips, raise her eyebrow, or keep eye contact. That was not why she wanted to talk to him. Right, that, ”without a weapon I’d say that the Arena would be an unusual hang out place.”

Surprisingly, she wasn’t annoyed that he didn’t state his name when she indirectly asked him to provide it. In fact, she was pleasantly surprised at how easily he wished to join her, Ronnie began to slowly walk away until he followed her; she didn’t ask him to follow out loud because she didn’t want to interrupt and she wanted to hear his words (even though he asked her to lead the way shortly). They were intriguing. In fact, she was rethinking her wisp of a thought to push him and his boundaries because she could see herself potentially befriending this boy. Especially with Dante going back to Italy, she would need to pass the time somehow. But she walked on until they reached the back corner of the walls. There she looked around, saw no one, and began to climb the corner column. It probably looked difficult, impossible maybe on the slick marble stone, but as two walls met there, it formed perfect crevices behind the curve of the pillar that acted as handhold. It was almost a step ladder, albeit, harder to keep holding onto and to climb, but steps practically led their way. Her feet slipped a few times and often she tested her handholds and some wouldn’t suffice, but she made it up to the wall and began walking down the East side. ”Well, come on.”
Ronnie Riley
Ronnie Riley
Fourth Cohort
Augur

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:45 am

The girl didn’t seem to be on the same wavelength as Lukas. Lukas didn’t know how to view this – for good or for worse. She seemed to be alarmed, or merely confused, at the idea of him calling Camp Jupiter his ‘home’ after only being there a while. He decided not to comment, the reality of the situation was that he hadn’t really ever had a home (which she picked up on), so this felt more like a home than anywhere he had ever been before in his life. He doubted he needed to turn his thoughts into a vocal proclamation – she should really understand that, right? He couldn’t be the only demigod in this situation. The past was the past; Lukas wasn’t too bothered by talking about it because of this. But the future, well, that was just going to happen, no one can control that so why bother about that either? The present mattered, his past life didn’t.

Lukas was struggling to understand this girl’s opinions. She didn’t reveal much, and that put the boy on edge a little. Lukas Blakewood did not get put ‘on edge’ very easily. The boy instinctively placed his hands in his pockets and shrugged off her comments, he had no answers to her questions. He didn’t feel a need to exclaim anything about his past to her, a girl he had only known for a few minutes. He found her intriguing though, and that was the worst thing of all. Lukas was somehow drawn to this girl, whether it was lust or intrigue remained to be seen – but there was something about her. The way she carried herself wasn’t Roman, it was more like him. Yet the two of them were very different. It was confusing; Lukas couldn’t put a finger on it at all. Was she probing him for information? Or was she merely interested? Or both? She was pretty, a pretty girl. Did that sway things?

"I’m not a theatrical person if that’s what you are hinting at,” Lukas snapped into conversation as the two of them walked, attempting to make the point very clear. “If you all ‘war’ so much here than maybe that shows a fault rather than something I need to change about myself, yeah?”

He raised his eyebrows, and then grinned. He didn’t like confrontation; it was as simple as that. “If you want to have you-know-what with somebody then you’re going to be a heck of a lot more forceful with them than if you want to kill them, I’ve had the experience of both, though I’m sure you don’t need me to tell you this,” so why was he telling her this? He had only witnessed someone trying to kill someone else, not actually had the thought process himself.

She climbed up the column with relative ease, much to Lukas’ disappointment. The boy precariously looked at the column and grimaced, looking firstly to his left then to his right before attempting to follow her after she imperatively told him to do so. Was he following her a little bit too eagerly? He couldn’t risk her taking control of the situation too easily. Being at the orphanage had taught him that lesson very quickly. Nevertheless the boy grabbed the column and started to clamber upwards towards the roof. He was nowhere near as elegant as he should have been, but it wasn’t a large concern. He slipped with practically every movement he took. His breathing was heavy, almost fearful, but there was a sense of adrenaline in this simple act. It wasn’t quite as enthralling as darting over fences and winding down dimly lit alleyways as the police tried to chase you down. The sirens booming in the distance ready to snatch you up, but when he reached the top he felt a surge go through him. There was a sense of accomplishment. He hadn’t fallen on his first try, and that was an achievement in itself.

“You do that often?” he asked, pointing towards the column as he caught his breath. “You seemed to know what you were doing.” It was a statement rather than an observation.

Doing this did remind Lukas of the days when he had been running down streets away from the police, there was something about it that felt like he was doing something that he shouldn’t be doing. He had images of one of the Praetors barking at him for this, maybe even punishing him. Yet there was also something about it that meant that he didn’t care. Whatever happened to him happened. He had no say in that. He did, however, choose his own actions and he wanted to do this. He wanted to climb on the Principia with this girl he had only just met – it was something intriguing. It was like a story that a Grandfather would tell his children when they thought he was boring and old. Lukas doubted he’d get to that age, most demigods didn’t, but it was a wonderful thought nonetheless.

He slowly followed her down the East side, taking quick glances over the side of the wall at regular intervals. He didn’t know if it was adrenaline or fear that took hold of him. When he wasn’t looking precariously over the side his eyes focussed on the girl’s feet, and the outline of the book at her socks. Curiosity got the better of him.

“The book a personal thing?” he could feel himself asking too many questions, she’d get irritated if he carried on, "I wouldn’t normally put a book there, that’s all. . .” he muttered.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ronnie Riley Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:17 pm

Unaware of what she possibly did to shut him down, Ronnie immediately stopped both asking him questions and talking much at all. Though she remained in the moment well enough, she couldn’t help but go over what she had said in her head to try and understand what she did wrong. Maybe… maybe this boy was just different and he didn’t think or act similarly to other people. Or maybe she pegged him for the wrong kind of person. It was a very high possibility that with all things Lauren considered, she had Lauren wrong too in regards to the people Ronnie thought she would show ‘interest’ in. But, Lauren was different. More so than most of anyone she had ever met before and that’s why Ronnie kept coming back for more. Not many people kept her on edge like that. If she didn’t find a flaw in her own tactics, then maybe Lukas was just as hard to get. This caused an involuntary, ”huh”, to leave the red-head’s mouth. Though, she pushed this all to the side as well as she could. Over the years, Ronnie had become quite the expert at that. For instance, her troubling dream this morning, dreams in general, she was able to push completely away until she specifically gave herself time to pour over them in the late library hours.

Ah, there! Her thoughts had run away but now she was back in the present, and Ronnie became shocked slightly when she almost physically saw the wires grinding in Lukas’s mind. He was trying to figure her out. Good luck with that, sport. Part of the reason that Ronnie used to feel power over her peers in high school was because she could figure them all out and find their buttons, but no one could figure her out because even she didn’t know who she was. It felt weird admitting it, but it was true. How could someone possibly understand her if she didn’t understand herself? Still, as the silence deepened more and more a sole thought of, ’you’re interesting!’ kept appearing and made her want to know more. What could she possibly do? This, it seemed, would not be an easy task. But, she had decided that she was not walking away from this one.

Nevertheless, Ronnie attempted to solve this as best as she could while they closed the distance to the back walls of the Principia: ”I can’t argue with that. But the fact that it’s a common interest in the camp as a whole is not reflecting anything on individuals. I, for instance, want nothing of war – which, in the Roman eye deems me idle and lazy, but in fact I train just as much as the lot of ‘em,” clearly, he wanted nothing of her idle flirting. Maybe her first thought was right: he was into guys; or he had high walls and strong defenses. So, Ronnie changed her game, and frowned as she realized that she was doing a lot of that over the course of their meeting. The way she changed her game this time was to talk a little of herself. That always made people more comfortable around each other. Instead, what he said just confused the hell out of her.
”Well…” she was stumped, ”I’ve never thought of it that way, in any healthy situation at least, but if you think so sure I guess. Whatever floats your boat,” she finished these last words as she hauled the rest of her body onto the wall. Here she stayed for a minute and surveyed the area. Though she was looking for any possible nearby onlookers (and saw none), she couldn’t help but stand there a minute and take in a breath of awe; she had been there a few times before and always took this moment to capture the landscape. The ocean was to her left, and it also looked like there was an ocean to her right (albeit, a sea of dark green) – the forest treetops were at eye level and further in the distance where the trees thickened, they almost looked like harmless green clouds.

Between glances outwards, she would occasionally look down as Lukas slowly made his way up. Tempted to tell him pointers every here and there, Ronnie decided not to say anything. From what she had learned so far, this boy clearly wasn’t submissive. He, like her, was more of an alpha type, and from two alpha types could come great tension… or great tension; two entirely different things given the right meanings. Okay, so maybe the trajectory of Ronnie’s thoughts weren’t going where she wanted them to but she couldn’t help but be curious about which of the two that this meeting would lead to.
Soon, Lukas reached the top and she took the opportunity to walk across the frame of the wall. It was thick enough for her not to feel unnecessarily wobbly, nauseous, or throw her arms out. Walking proved easy enough, in fact she only extended her arms every here and there to ensure crucial balance.

”Not here necessarily. This spot I’ve only been to half a dozen times, but I’ve found places like this all over the Roman camp and a few on the Greek side. But there’s much more area I have yet to explore there.”

After a brief walk where a silence passed which Ronnie took the opportunity to take in the sight of camp around her, she heard the fashionable demigod speak again. This time imploring her for an answer, one she didn’t herself know how to answer- if she even decided to be truthful. He had just interrupted a pleasant thought about feeling on top of the world too. But then again, maybe it wasn’t something she should be thinking about after all. To her annoyance she stated, ”sorta… I guess. This morning I was blowing off my duties, some involving the book and I had nowhere to put it. I just thought that with it rubbing my ankle I wouldn’t forget about it or lose it,” wow, very truthful. This answer surprised even herself.

Here she turned to Lukas and cracked a jovial smile, ”here’s the fun part,” she winked, casually, without thinking about it. Halting her walk she stated offhand, “hope you’re wearing the right shoes,” she glanced at them and saw fitting white pull-overs. Shrugging, she stated simply, “”nice. I mean, they might not be the best for this, but they suit you.” The daughter of Janus smiled then turned her gaze to the part of one of the roofs that stretched all the way to the wall. It was a tall one, but not quite as high as they were at its lowest point. In order to project her body further, she placed one foot at the edge of the wall, toes snug in her boot just hanging over the edge, and she swung her arms back and proceeded to leap onto the roof without hesitation. The jump propelled her far enough that she barely dropped at all – she almost hit the roof where it was at level with the wall. But she scrambled for a footing all the same and slipped a bit before steadying herself. The reason Ronnie chose this spot to test the boy was because she knew it couldn’t hurt him. Though the jump looked daunting, if he slid to the edge, the slanted roof came close enough to the wall that he could stick his feet (or hands depending on how he fell) out to catch himself. It might be evil in the slightest way, but she wanted to see if he would jump, or how long it would take him. If he did, the hard part was over (for now, getting back was a bitch) and they were headed to a beautiful look-out point. From what he had shown so far, Ronnie’s gut told her that he would indeed take the blind leap.
Ronnie Riley
Ronnie Riley
Fourth Cohort
Augur

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum