Morning Lineup ((Elyza))

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Morning Lineup ((Elyza))

Post by Guest on Sat May 10, 2014 4:02 pm

Things had stabilized in Camp Jupiter this past year, and the Romans were no longer in a state of hyperawareness, with a sense of urgency or paranoia in the atmosphere. The panic caused by the Tripartite had settled down over the last few months, and everything had relaxed somewhat. Sienna didn’t particularly mind the Romans’ settled mind, but it didn’t mean that the newfound “peace” was normal or easy to get used to. After the last few catastrophic years of her life, Sienna knew it was going to be a long time before she could adopt the new popular mindset of the Romans, thinking that they were at peace and didn’t have to be hyperaware anymore.

Even if Sienna couldn’t adapt that easily, the idea still calmed her. Her nights weren’t so restless, and the girl eased up slightly on her training and allowed for more recreational activities. That mostly meant dancing and mentally preparing herself for leaving camp next year, when Sienna would take on Manhattan and a chance at a normal life in the mortal world.

Today was a day like any other. Sienna woke up early, before anyone else in her cohort and she took the time to get some early morning training in. It woke the girl’s body up, and it gave her the alone time she preferred when she worked with the weapons in the arena. That lasted for an hour before Sienna returned to the barracks to wake up the cohort for Muster. Once that went off without a hitch, and ended promptly, Sienna simply drifted back to the barracks to put away her armor and do a quick inspection of the cohort.

The “quick” inspection took longer than she imagined it to, simply because Sienna was in no rush to do anything else. The barracks was empty, with all the legionnaires out doing their daily activities. That left Sienna alone, tidying up after some of the less tidy members of the cohort, and her doing what she could to make the barracks presentable. The girl was determined to raise the Fourth Cohort’s prestige again, and turn it from the unwanted part of the legion into a formidable cohort. They had to live with preexisting standards of the cohort every day, and Sienna did her best to fight all the assumptions that the Fourth was the useless one, the disposable cohort. Something the girl had learned in her time away from the old camp in California was that people never existed within a certain set of standards. If people couldn’t and shouldn’t be defined by one stereotype or belief, why should the cohorts?

If in order to defy that standard it meant Sienna had to pick up dirty laundry, so be it. To the leadership, those preexisting standards didn’t hold weight anymore, and the Centurions and Praetors didn’t hold people to those beliefs anymore. The legionnaires were slightly more impaired, and Sienna always did her best to stress to her legionnaires that they weren’t below the others simply because of cohort placement. Whether that message got through, she didn’t know. These things ran through her mind as Sienna started to make some of the unmade bunks, and after finishing her own the girl sat down lightly on it and took a small break. She barely heard the sound of the door opening, for she was too busy thinking of everything she had left to do.

Back to top Go down

Re: Morning Lineup ((Elyza))

Post by Guest on Sat May 10, 2014 9:13 pm

It was a great day today. Warm and sunny with a cool breeze blowing though. The perfect type of day for shorts, t-shirts, but Elyza still wore her jeans, converse and hoodie. She was hot sweaty and tired after a great practice in the arena. She felt proud of herself because she actually decided to spar with someone. Now an hour and a half later she was walking back to the barracks to change into something different. She didn't want anymore people interactions today so she steered clear of any people.

When she got to the fourth cohort she flipped her hood down and opened the door. Elyza always has a bad habit of ducking under door frames because standing at 5' 6" she always ran into the doorways at her old house. Elyza hoped the cohort would be empty, but of course a person. She tried to say as quiet as possible except when she stubbed her toe on the bottom of her bunk. She cringed and sat down her bunk holding her foot. 'I bet I look like an idiot right now.' She mumbled. 'Sorry if I was interrupting anything. Just didn't see where I was going because I was thinking. Sorry.' Elyza put her stuff down and as she was fumbling through her stuff she came across the letter her dad wrote to her a week ago. It read "Elyza, I found your note. I'm sorry for everything. I didn't mean to ignore you. If you don't want to come back it's okay, but remember you always have a home here. Love Dad." As Elyza read the letter again she didn't realize she was crying until she saw a tear fall on the letter. She quickly wiped her tears away before the other girl could see her. Then she put the letter away.

Elyza missed her dad honestly. But if she went back things wouldn't change. She decided it would be better for her to live here year than try to make something work at home. She might visit him when things soothed out and Elyza felt better towards him. Sadly that wouldn't be for a very long time though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 11, 2014 11:02 pm

Allowing herself to take a break may not have been the best idea. Upon sitting down on her bunk, a wave of exhaustion came over Sienna and made her shoulders droop. She let herself drop her head into her hands for a moment, and her eyes closed momentarily. After everything the girl had gone through…she just felt tired. She’d been wound-up, determined to avenge everything that had been done to her. She’d been driven by the thought of revenge, of one day being able to return to California with all of her friends, where she could return to some semblance of her old life. Being told that wouldn’t happen, being told they were “at peace” just…tired her. All of her sacrifice and work, for nothing.

Perhaps she should give up, as she had apparently seen many of the Romans do. Their reactive attitude to everything was infectious, and not something Sienna was interested in catching. Even so…the idea of being able to simply rest was too good to ignore. However, the girl only had a short time to ponder this, for a sound broke her out of her thoughts. Another person had entered the cohort a while ago, and Sienna had originally uncharacteristically ignored them, caught up in her own troubles. It was unusual for the girl’s gaze to be turned inward, as opposed to watching out for everyone else, but Sienna had momentarily allowed her mind to worry about her own well-being, and she had temporarily turned off her acknowledgment of the outside world.

That switch quickly turned back on when she heard evidence of crying. A basic instinct of needing to make sure the others were okay before herself made Sienna turn her head to the other girl in the barracks. It was one of her newest legionnaires, and one the daughter of Venus hadn’t had time to interact with. The girl was sitting on her bunk and Sienna looked over. Although she didn’t know the girl well, Sienna continued to look her over for a moment instead of turning away. She finally spoke after a while. “Are you alright?” she asked softly, although she was fairly sure she knew the answer already. Nobody cried unless they weren’t alright. Even so, it was the…polite way to ask. Sienna cared for all her legionnaires, even if she didn’t know them that well. Camp Jupiter could seem like an intimidating place, and Sienna did her best to make a second home for the legionnaires in the Fourth Cohort.

For the moment, Sienna didn’t move from her bunk but continued to look over to the other girl. She’d wait for a confirmation before she’d pry any further. Even so, she felt introductions were over. Knowing one’s Centurion could never be a bad thing. “I’m Sienna.” That’s all she really said…she didn’t use her formal title like she normally did when speaking to Romans. It was fine for formal meetings, but it tended to make her come off as cold for these more personal meetings. Sienna could hardly be described as cold, and she didn’t want to seem that way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 18, 2014 1:17 pm

(( I am so sorry this is late!! I was sick and school is taking everything out of me!))

“Are you alright?” the girl asked. Elyza tried to pull her self together. She started to nod yes and that rapidly turned into a sobbing no. Elyza was always together. She tried never to cry in front of people. "I'm sorry. I'm probably wasting your time. I'll be fine." Elyza managed to get out. Between her breaths to get air back into her lungs and the tears still running down her face, it was hard. Maybe even harder for Sienna to understand her with her thick accent. Eventully Elyza stopped. Sienna hadn't scolded her for crying like a centurion should. Elyza didn't know what to do anymore. She kept all her feelings bottled up behind a wall. And even the slightest crack can break the wall and all her feeling tumble out. Elyza never wanted to break down, but it happened.

When she finally fully calmed down Elyza pulled her knees to her chest and said, "I'm sorry for that Sienna. Romans should be tougher. I won't let it happen again." Elyza didn't know what else to say. She hadn't been a Roman then and she knew that she would most likely get into trouble for it. "I'm Elyza by the way."

((Again I'm really sorry this is so late, but here it is now!))

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat May 24, 2014 10:20 pm

As the girl started crying, Sienna made the automatic move from her bunk to the girl’s bunk. Although the daughter of Venus didn’t know the girl very well (a mistake on her part), and didn’t know the girl’s opinions about touching, Sienna made a move to pat the girl’s shoulder. “You’re not wasting anybody’s time,” Sienna responded softly, soothingly rubbing the girl’s shoulder. If there was one thing Sienna hoped to accomplish as a Centurion, it was to instill the idea in her legionnaires’ heads that they could always come to talk to her, no matter what (and on any subject).

For most of the day, Sienna had to be a tough, no nonsense Roman whose responsibility was to train the Romans under her command and prepare them for life as a demigod (or legacy). But outside of the arena, and outside of the normal working hours, Sienna did her best to make sure she was available to her legionnaires. The fact that she had missed out on this girl’s obvious problems made Sienna internally promise not to be so neglectful. Putting her hand down, Sienna stayed quiet for a moment longer to see if the girl would speak.

She was not disappointed. The girl was seemingly calming down and Sienna waited patiently to hear what the girl had to say. What she eventually said did not surprise her much, for it was a feeling Sienna herself often felt. It was an issue she was sure all Romans dealt with at some point or another. Defeating those stereotypes about the typical Roman soldier (that was often true, but beside the point). “We might be Romans, but we’re also human,” Sienna mused aloud. She dropped her hand and twisted it with the other on her lap. “And we have problems too. We can’t be heartless soldiers all day.” Sienna’s attempt at a joke left the girl with a mental note to brush up on her jokes.

When the girl said her name was Elyza Sienna started to remember some of the girl’s file. Elyza Norman, unclaimed and newly arrived to the cohort. That rung a bell in Sienna’s head. “Don’t worry about it, Elyza,” Sienna soothed. “Why don’t you tell me what’s wrong? It’s better not to keep all your emotions locked up. Leads to a nasty mess later.”

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:43 am

((I am so so sorry!!! I forgot and I haven't had time!!))

Elyza stopped her crying so she could speak. In, out repeat. She told herself. It wouldn't do any her any good to pass out now. "I just moved to America from Brisbane a few months ago as you can hear." Elyza began, gesturing to her mouth to indicate the accent.

"My dad got a job offer and he didn't tell me until I saw the moving truck on the way back from one of my runs. I don't know why he didn't tell me, but I said goodbye to my friends and that was it. I was on a plane. My dads new job was in LA. I tried to adjust but it was hard and I got bullied for my accent and how I said things different. Soon after we got settled, or my dad got settled, he forgot about me entirely. I used to be so close with him and then it just fell apart. I kept having dreams about this place so I deiced if he would forget me what was the point of staying? So I bought a plane ticket packed a small suit case and flew over here. I mean I left him a note so he wouldn't think I was kidnapped or something. A few weeks ago is when the letters started coming in." She turned and grabbed the letter to read out loud. "The letter said 'Elyza, I found your note. I'm sorry for everything. I didn't mean to ignore you. If you don't want to come back it's okay, but remember you always have a home here. Love Dad.' I don't know anymore Sienna. I love him and I want to go back but I just feel right here."

Elyza turned and put the letter back. "I really feel better. I didn't know it would. Thanks for just listening."

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top