Half-Blood Hill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Right Blade (Stephanie)

Go down

The Right Blade (Stephanie) Empty The Right Blade (Stephanie)

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:28 am

Jack sighed, staring into the armory. After being here for a few days, he figured it was time to get back into training. Although Lupa had always been irritated by his denial - to the point where she wanted to rip him to shreds with her teeth - she had been impressed by his determination. When she taught him something, he was was desperate to get it right as soon as possible. Jack hated to mess up. It wasn't only because he'd get injured when he made a mistake, but also because Jack hated to be wrong in any form. Jack had to be right and he'd keep pushing until he was. That's what Lupa had liked most about him, although that quality also made him quite stubborn and pigheaded. Once he was determined to achieve something, he didn't give up. That was a reason people hated to get into debates with him.

After spending quite a few days away from training, though, Jack knew it was time to get back into it or he'd lose his skill. He couldn't afford to do that. After observing the other Romans train, he was nowhere near their level. Sure, they'd been their longer, but Jack couldn't stand the idea of being lesser than. He held himself to a high standard. His mother had had a standard of excellence and he carried it on even after her death. He would not be average. And maybe she'd set that standard, because she knew he wasn't average. Because she knew he was more than mortal. He was the son of a god. Which one, he didn't currently know. But that didn't matter. The more Jack adjusted to the idea of gods existing and him being the son of one, the more he realized how different he was, how powerful he could be. And how much more pressure there was on him to be more than excellent.

Jack scanned the armory, looking at the different weapons available. Gladius swords. Spathas. Pugios. Bows and arrows. The list could go one. He picked up a few gladius swords, one at a time. He actually thought a longer sword would be better, but most of the other Romans used a Gladius, so he'd start off with one, too. Besides, his arms were rather long anyway. A gladius would do for the meantime.

As he lifted them, palm up, he flexed his fingers around the hilt and slowly moved his arm up and down to test the weight. Some of them felt much too heavy for him to use in battle. He figured it'd be too difficult for him to lift and strike and that would not be good in battle or any help to anyone. Some of them felt too light and he sometimes worried his grip would loosen too much, causing it to fly from his hand. Just as bad as the weapon being too heavy. No help at all. He continued this method until he came across one particular gladius.

Taking it in his hand, he flexed his fingers around the hilt. Comfortable fit. He held it out in front of him and bobbed his arm up and down. Not a bad weight. Jack brought the blade to his face, studying its Imperial gold material and design. The blade was concave towards the middle, which gave it a rather cool look. And hey, style was not a bad thing to Jack. He slowly, cautiously, twirled the weapon at his side. He wouldn't pretend he was an expert with a sword. He was probably mediocre. But you watch Star Wars enough, you're bound to start pretending everything is a lightsaber and twirl it until you're an expert at that.

Back to top Go down

The Right Blade (Stephanie) Empty Re: The Right Blade (Stephanie)

Post by Guest Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:05 pm

As usual the training area in camp was full of activity. Most people here trained for at peast a few hours every day either with their cohort or on their own. Mostly with the usual weapons of a roman soldier. Gladius, spatha, and even the occasional trident. Other weapons were used here as well, mostly the ones that came to their weilders as gifts from their parents. Those campers tended to train on their own instead of sparring- a bow against a spear wasn't exacrly an even match.

Stephanie didn't usually spend much time in the armory. She had her weapon with her at all times, thanks to it's wonderfully handy form of a bracelet on her wrist, and when she felt like training she would go straight to the arena to practice. Today however she decided to go for a change of pace. She wouldn't be able to rely fully on a bow in battle after all, and if it came to hand-to-hand combat she didn't want to be too rusty with a blade. That could mean the difference between life or death in a serious fight. And so after she'd spent some time working over her routine practice on this day, she headed to the armory to fetch her old gladius.

The daughter of Apollo hadn't practiced hand to hand combat ever since she'd been claimed... Quite the irresponsible oversight, she was now realizing. Hopefully she wasn't too terrible, how embarrassing would it be for a centurion to totally fail in combat! So much for her self esteem. She had to work hard enough to build it up to the point it was. Hopefully she could find a sparring partner at about her level. Maybe lower would be even better, as she'd always felt more confident teaching than learning.

Steph wasn't too surprised to find another legion member in the armory when she arrived, it wasn't as if it was in any way uncommon. She did pause to watch him twirl a gladius in his hand and had to fight to hide her amusement. She knew he was new here. She knew all of the faces of her fellow legionnaires, though names were a different matter. Once she deemed it safe to slip past him without losing a limb she picked up the training gladius she used to use from it's place.

"Hello there" the daughter of Apollo gave the boy a gentle smile as she turned to him. He was very attractive but that didn't seem to be the most uncommon thing here at camp. Maybe it was just a demigod thing to be exceptionally beautiful. He had a dangerous look about his strong features and intense eyes, not to mention his wardrobe. In the past, when the girl was much more introverted she would have been terrified to approach him but her year living among warriors and becoming intimidating herself had changed that dramatically. "you're new around here, right?" switching the sword to her left hand she held out her right to shake. "Stephanie Evanescu, daughter of Apollo and centurion of the third cohort. You can just call me Steph if you like" sometimes it was a pain to introduce herself in this longwinded way but it was important to let people know who exactly they were talking to wasn't it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:01 pm

Jack noticed someone pass behind him once he'd finished twirling the sword. He hadn't felt the person. It was just a sense that most people got when someone entered a room. Intuition, he thought to himself. He shook his head slightly before observing the blade in his hand. Out of the corner of his eye, he could sight of the person who had passed behind him. A girl around his age. Because that seemed to be his luck around camp. Back in LA, meeting girls was a challenge for him, not that he particularly put effort towards it. At camp, he had no trouble meeting girls without trying.

He noticed her give him a smile and, of course, she was gorgeous. Jack forced himself not to chuckle, but a rare smile did grace his face. Just his luck again. Were all demi-god daughters attractive? Or was there just something in the camp water? He assumed that it was the first option. Gods were supposed to be beautiful, perfect, with Venus being the most. That's what all logic would lead one to assume. So, the children of gods should carry that incredibly attractive gene as well. Then again, what did that say about him? He'd never once looked in a mirror and thought to himself, "Geez, I'm ultra attractive!" It had never occurred to him.

What was most appealing about her, though, were her eyes. They were the first feature to capture his attention. They were a vibrant sea green color. At least they were in this light. How could you not stare?

"Hello there. You're new around here, right? Stephanie Evanescu, daughter of Apollo and centurion of the third cohort. You can just call me Steph if you like."

That broke Jack's daze and he looked down at her hand. He moved his own sword to his left hand and used his free right hand to shake hers.

"I'm Jack Rune..." He paused. He had intended to format his introduction the way she had. There was just one problem: he wasn't claimed, yet. "Um, unclaimed, I guess you guys call it," he laughed. "I think I just got sorted into your cohort, though, so yeah, I'm pretty new around here. Nice to meet you, Steph."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:00 pm

She had noticed that they'd held each other's gaze for an unusually long amount of time before even she spoke and the observation caused her cheeks to warm. Another thing she wasn't used to was boys even realizing she existed, let alone spending so much time looking at her face. Since coming to camp of course she'd been surprised by the amount of young men she'd spoken to. She had more male friends than female now which had surprised her when she thought about it. He was quick to respond to her question though and her smile spread as she recognized the name.

"Oh you're our new member! I'd been wondering. It's nice to meet you Jack, I'm happy to have you in my cohort and I'm sure you'll fit right in. Our cohort is fantastic just you wait.
Stephanie realized the greeting probably could have come off as a bit overly enthusiastic but it was sincere and she hoped that though the boy seemed a bit unused to how things worked around here she hoped he'd take it well. The third cohort was a great place to be though it seemed almost like it was home to all of the misfits of camp. Of course, that made her a misfit too but she'd sort of accepted that fact from kindergarten. She simply didn't fit in anywhere.

Of course she had a lot of questions about him. She wanted to know where he'd come from, what was going on in the outside world, how he'd come to camp but she was sure she'd have more time to get to those questions later. They'd be living together after all and she didn't want to overwhelm him completely. Have you met many people around here yet?" She finally settled on asking, letting the hand that he'd shaken drop to her side.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 07, 2013 7:54 pm

Jack nodded as she welcomed him into the cohort. He was still rather nervous about that idea. He'd spent his whole life as an only child, so the house had only been him and his mother with the occasional visit of his grandfather. Not only that, but he had never been much of a people person. Now he had to live with several other teenagers and young adults. He didn't know any of them and he didn't know how he'd get along with any of them, let alone how to interact with them. Although talking to Stephanie did make him a bit more confident about the whole thing.

"Thanks. I hope it goes well. I've never been much of a people person, so we'll see how moving in goes," he told her honestly. He looked around the armory. "This whole thing is rather new to me."

He twirled the sword again, just to find something to do with his hands. He couldn't lean against the wall of the armory. He was a bit worried he might cut himself against one of the many blades hanging on the wall. He assumed the necessary movement was from the ADHD. Never would he have thought that it was hereditary among demigods. What a strange trait to pick up.

"Have you met many people around here yet?"

Jack shook his head, thinking over his time at camp, which wasn't much.

"Not really. I've met quite a few of the Greeks, but not many Romans. I mainly know Calix... and you now," he answered.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down